Friday, March 13, 2009

Aspirations of a novice solderer




It has always been a dream of mine to be a silversmith. I remember when I was younger, my family would vacation at Chautauqua Institute in New York. There was a silversmith artisan there by the name of Kathy Armstrong. My dad was a friend of hers and so I got to visit her at her studio. It was amazing and I really wanted to be able to learn how to create beautiful things with silver/metal.

So, as I have been working on some soldered jewelry for my sister Heather's birthday, I am drawn to look at all the creative artisans at etsy. By far one of my fave's is neile. She uses real butterfly/moth wings for her jewelry(see pics above). It is truly unique. As I gaze upon these beautiful works of art, I am dreaming of how I can do something like that. Looking online at classes in my area, I am amazed at how much a class costs to learn this trade and the amount of tools necessary. Wow. (breathe, breathe) So much to my dismay, I will not be able to create something of this calibre for some time. Until then, I will have these classes and tools on my wish/to do list.

So here I am again, dreaming of being a silversmith. All the beautiful things I can create.

1 comment:

The Owl Diary said...

That is such a neat dream.
I hope it comes true. ♥